Thursday, March 6, 2008

Blue duck love

"I drew the duck blue because I had never seen a blue duck before, and to be honest with you, I just wanted to see a blue duck."

That would be the second time I quoted Billy Madison on my blog (thanks, Suz!).

Brenna is attached to her blue rubber ducky. It's very odd. She has a bathtub full of ducks in many colors, and she wants nothing to do with any of them except the blue one. Is blue her favorite color? Did I make the blue duck have a funny voice once, and now she thinks he is the coolest duck of the bunch? I have no idea.

But, I do know that she knows the difference. She holds her blue duck throughout every bath, as you can see from pictures from different nights...


... and she insists on taking it out of the tub with her so she can hold it while I dress her. She gives it a strange, special smile all the time, too.

Tonight Maura came over to play, and I said that I'd give her a bath with Brenna in the big tub since Brenna is still pretty new to the big tub and slips all around. I wanted to share the following:

  1. Maura thinks that being nude is really cool. Not only did she strip for Ian the other night, she couldn't wait to get naked tonight. She even went to far as to go into the hallway to take her clothes off, "So I can surprise Brenna with my naked."
  2. When she did surprise Brenna with, "her naked," Brenna smiled, as she does anytime Maura re-enters the room, so Maura took this as confirmation of Brenna's love of her birthday suit, too.
  3. I played music in Brenna's room as I filled up the tub, like I always do, and the girls danced. Maura told me, "I like to naked dance, Brenna likes to naked danced and Aunt Meghan likes to all clothes dance." She is right... these days. ;)
  4. Once the girls were in the tub, I stepped a few feet away, with them still in my sight, of course, to get an extra towel, and within a second before I could jump back, Brenna was up, over the tub and had fallen head first onto the floor. After a minute or two of crying, she was back in the tub with a new little goose egg on her forehead.
  5. Brenna got upset when Maura played with her blue duck, and knowing that, Maura wanted it more. Finally, Brenna and the duck had to get separated from Maura, who decided she wanted to keep swimming.
  6. I called Jamie to watch Maura because I couldn't leave her in the tub alone while I changed Brenna. Jamie watched her, but refused to get too close or wrap her in her towel for fear of being a weird uncle, I think. When Maura was done swimming, we switched kids.
  7. Maura cried when she realized that Erin didn't send her favorite pajamas. I convinced her she could change into them when she got home...sorry, Erin.
  8. As she lotioned herself up with three different lotions in Brenna's room, Maura told me about her very dry skin. She used the phrase, "The truth is," while telling me about it, but I forget exactly how.

Ah, the joys of bathtime! Maura is now home, and Brenna is sleeping soundly with her duck in the crib with her. Some kids have a blanket, Brenna has a blue duck.

2 comments:

SUZANNE said...

Great quote :) I love this post - Brenna and Maura are TOO cute!!

Michelle B said...

ah, the naked days! Collin used to just strip down naked when we'd be out at other people's houses and run around dancing naked. they thought it hysterical.. i was always mortified.. but laughing a little on the inside, too :)