Monday, April 21, 2008

Pretending I care that cows moo

Even though I woke up with a hangover rivaling some college days, I had to wake up and be a mom on Saturday morning.

I put in my best effort at avoiding reality by forcing Brenna to sleep for a total of 13 hours (7:30 p.m. until 8:30 a.m.), and then made Jamie get up with her to feed her breakfast (he owed me - he went golfing on Sunday morning and was MIA the week before after his brother's bachelor party.)

By 9:00 a.m., however, I couldn't deny my child who was looking for me, or forget that I had promised to go with my family to the farm we haven't visited since October. So, I got up and got ready for the day.

Luckily, everyone else was feeling much better than I was, and Jamie was running around making a big fake deal out of the internal workings of cows and how they make milk, so I basically handed Brenna to Kelly (she offered), and gave her and Ian our parental duties. Maura was beside herself with excitment to show Ian, who she has a major crush on, one of her favorite places on earth.

The way I was feeling, it was really awesome on the senses to smell pig waste, watch pregnant cows relieve themselves and avoid llama spit.
But, it wasn't about me, of course :)

"Hey, Mom, wake up! They make that real milk stuff you are giving me (for the first time this week) right here!"

"Ian, up here is where they keep the rabbits. Oh, and I love you."

Ice cream time!



Ah, they look like a little family, don't they? Like those perfume ads from years ago where Christy Turlington and her fake husband would pretend to be the parents of two perfect kids, and everyone was so happy...


Taking care of kids after a night like Friday night, really wears you out...

Finally, after eating ice cream and pizza (thanks, Dad!), I felt like myself again that afternoon.

No comments: