Monday, October 29, 2007

We're Ugly


http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20071022/od_nm/philadelphia_unattractive1_dc

This story came out a week or two ago on the news here, and now it has made national headlines. The 1.5 million people in Philadelphia are the least attractive in the United States. About two years ago we were dubbed the fattest city, and now we're the most repulsive to look at.

They should try to find the city that is the poorest, baldest, most toothless, most acne prone, sweatiest and smelliest. I bet Philadelphia could sweep all of these categories.

Grace Kelly would roll over in her grave.

But, how sad is it that it just makes me feel more comfortable to be here? I'm within five pounds of my pre-pregnacy weight, and yet I will never again fit my new hips into my old clothes, or quite get rid of this odd red spot that appeared on the tip of my nose during pregnacy or ever be able to keep up with the mounds of hair I'm shedding. I'm happy to walk around with the ugly people.

And, as I sit here, eating my 9:45 p.m. snack of Cool Ranch Doritos, obviously not caring if I fit in with the unattractive people or not, I am thinking that it just means that Brenna will have less competition in 20 years.

By the way, I don't think this categorization is true at all. In the five years between college and getting married, I lived in the city and went out a few times a week. I know that Philadelphia has some great looking people! I just think that here, in the city that boos and throws things at Santa Claus during an Eagles game, we are the most NEGATIVE city. We probably had far more respondents in the poll say that our city was ugly, where in other parts of the country respondents said, "Oh, gee, ya'll know it's not nice to say people are unattractive," and answered the questions the way kind people would. We're really just mean.

No comments: