Thursday, October 11, 2007

Communication is Key to a Happy Marriage


This is a simple one-day example of the conversations Jamie and I have:

6:00 a.m.
Brenna is awake, babbling through the monitor. We pretend we don't hear her yet.

6:15 a.m.
Brenna begins to cry.
Me (turning to Jamie): Well, I'll start feeding her, but will you come relieve me so that I can get in the shower? I can't be late again.
Jamie: Okay.
I go get her up, pick out an outfit for her. It's going to be the first colder fall day, so I get a 6-9 month fall outfit that looks gigantic. I feed her. 10 minutes pass.
Me (through the baby monitor): Jamie, I have to go to the bathroom.
Jamie (yelling across the hallway): Okay, I'm coming.
5 more minutes pass.
Me (through the baby monitor): I'm serious. I have to go to the baaaatttthhhhrrroooommmm!
Jamie appears. I pass Brenna and the bottle to Jamie. I run for the bathroom.
Me: You now have to take your shower with the door open to watch her because I have to get ready!
Jamie knocks on the door while I'm in the shower.
Jamie: Meg, she can't wear this outfit you picked out for her, it's huge on her.
Me: Good. I'm happy she's still only fitting in her 3-6 month stuff. Pick something else out.
I get out of the shower, and Brenna is wearing a long sleeved onesie with flowers on it and a pair of pants with flowers all over them. The flowers clash.
Me: What the h*ll? She can't wear this. Are you an idiot?
Jamie: There is nothing wrong with this. What is wrong with this?
Me: Don't you know those pants actually came with a onesie that go with them? This doesn't match, but I'm too late to change her. She's wearing it.
I take my unfortunately dressed daughter to daycare, and still get to work 15 minutes late...

---------------------------------------------------------------------

5:00 p.m.
Jamie will be late because he has a meeting. I'm feeding Brenna a bottle.
Me: Brenna, I have to tell Daddy how happy I am that he helped to make you, and you are a girl, and that's all thanks to him! I love you soooooooo much. You are so pretty, even though you look nothing like me. So, that's thanks to him, too...
(Do I ever tell him this? No.....)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

6:45 p.m.
Jamie calls me.
Jamie: Hi, baby. I'm out of the meeting.
Me: Hi. What do you want for dinner?
Jamie: Chicken?
Me: I was thinking grilled cheese.
Jamie: Do we have cheese?
Me: We should. We had a lot of it.
Jamie: No, I ate it all for lunch this week. I'll stop and get more.
Me: No, don't stop. Just come home. I'll figure something else out.

-------------------------------------------------------------------

7:05 p.m.
Jamie calls again.
Me: Hey.
Jamie: Hey, I got cheese.
Me: I'm pretty sure I told you not to.
Jamie: Well, I wanted grilled cheese after you said it. I also got potato bread.
Me: Why? We have wheat bread. Didn't you just let an entire loaf of potato bread go bad?
Jamie: No, I had it all for lunch.
Me: Oh, well you let everything else you buy go bad before you eat it, so I was confused. We're having it on the wheat bread. Grilled cheese is much better on wheat bread.
Jamie: Okay. You're dumb.
Me: You're ugly.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

8:00 p.m.
Jamie: Did all the babies make fun of her today because of the way she was dressed?
Me: No. They just talked about her behind her back.
He then starts beat boxing to Brenna, which she seems to enjoy. This reminds me of the way home in the car one day when I was singing her The Ten Crack Commandments.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

It's now 9:30.
Brenna is sound asleep, we're watching The Office.
Me: Do you think we're normal parents or dysfunctional?
Jamie: No, we're not dysfunctional. We're having fun. I'm going to be strict with her, but I'm never going to be an uptight parent.
He pronounces the word "parent" with the a like in "carrot." I say the beginning of word "parent" like the pear fruit. We then argue about what is correct.

This is our daily life...I think I should stick to posting pictures of Brenna...

No comments: