Saturday, November 3, 2007

Family Charity Day

I used to work for a large nonprofit. In February, when I was 5.5 months pregnant, I was told I had to relocate from an office 15 minutes away from my house to an office an hour away. They were closing my office, and a bunch of people were laid off. So, being asked to move - with a "promotion" (in title, not money, hence the quotes) - was better than the alternative.

As much as I loved my job, I knew that I could not deal with the new commute and the long hours the position demanded and be the mom I wanted and needed to be. So, I began to look for another job closer to my home. (I was fully aware that potential employers were not exactly advertising, "Please, huge pregnant ladies, come work for us! An immediate 12 weeks off is our specialty!")

However, when I was in the hospital having Brenna, I actually did get a call to interview for an ideal position/situation. Jamie called back and told them that I was having the baby, and he promised would call back in a day or two, which I did. I interviewed for my job the day I was allowed to drive after my c-section, when Brenna was only two weeks old.

I am thrilled with everything that has happened since, but leaving my former position was a little bit sad when I said goodbye. I had friends there (they even threw me the cutest work shower, where they predicted that I would not be returning), and I really cared about the work that the organization does. When I gave my former boss my notice in July, I offered to come back to volunteer for today's event, which I organized last year. And Jamie, being the wonderful guy he is, said he would donate his DJ services again.

Because it was a family and child-friendly event, everyone wanted me to bring Brenna. So, today was Brenna's first trip to the city!

Getting ready for the 5K - Push-ups


Getting ready for the 5K - Crunches



Memorail Hall/Fairmount Park


The DJ making a weird face at my baby


With the legendary Hatfield Hotdog Pig, Smiley


"GET ME OUT OF THIS COLD!
I DON'T CARE IF IT IS FOR A GOOD CAUSE!"


"Aaaaa... warmth! That's all I ask.
Hey, Mom, remember when the giant pig talked to us?
That was sooooooo funny!"

No comments: