Sunday, January 20, 2008

Baby Bobby is here!

And now, for the most important news of the weekend (and year) in our family: our first nephew, Erin and Rob's baby boy, Bobby, was on January 19, 2008!

The day started when our house phone rang right before 7 a.m. on Saturday morning. Jamie and I were both a little disoriented, as Brenna was not up yet, so we were still soundly sleeping. We both immediately checked the alarms on our cell phones, which are always next to our heads. After I realized the ringing was not coming from my cell phone, I quickly said, "Jamie, it's the house phone. It's Erin!" It's not everyday that our house phone would be ringing early on a Saturday morning.

It actually wasn't Erin, but it was my mother, telling me to go to Erin's house. Erin was up all night with contractions that were then 5 minutes apart. I was walking in Erin and Rob's front door a few minutes later, and Jamie stayed behind with Brenna.

Maura was running around, hyper, in her underwear when I arrived, so I helped to dress Maura and we danced around doing the "Baby Bobby's Coming Soon Dance." We went outside (both wearing my coat, we are so funny!), and waved goodbye to Maura's Mommy and Daddy. The first thing Maura said to me as they drove away was, "My dog gets thirsty. You'll have to give him water." I see her dog, Cody, about 3-4 times a week, but she all of a sudden acted like I was a foreigner, which I thought that was so cute! At the same time, she also got very huggy and cuddly.

Kelly arrived a little while later and played with us, and then my parents showed up with McDonald's bagel sandwiches and Egg McMuffins. Jamie and Brenna were right behind them. We got a phone call from Rob that they admitted Erin and she was 4 c.m. dilated and they were going to break her water. Yay! Labor officially started. Erin was so afraid they would send her home.

Soon after, we made our plans for the day. Jamie and I decided to take Brenna home, take showers and head to the hospital when we heard that the baby had arrived. My parents and Rob's parents (over the phone) decided to leave for the hospital and be there for the labor and delivery. Kelly took Maura to Gram and Po's house to play (and nap) and get Mommom to take to the hospital with them. While they were there, Kelly even put on a sweater that matched Maura's.

Then it was just a waiting game. My mom called every once in awhile to say that Erin was doing great, and finally, that it was close - Erin was pushing!

Rob called Jamie's cell phone to tell him that Bobby was here, officially, at 2:24 p.m. He was a wonderful 7 lbs. 12 oz. (exactly what Brenna was), and Erin was doing great.

The nurses told Erin she wouldn't be put into a maternity room until 4:30 p.m., so Jamie and I took our time. When we arrived at the hospital, we found the rest of my family, and we were all so lucky to be witnesses to some very special moments.

As we all sat there, waiting, Erin, Rob and Bobby unexpectedly began coming down the hallway from L&D to the Maternity Suite. Maura, having been separated from them all day, was practially wriggling like a puppy in her seat.

There is nothing more touching than to see a child meet her sibling for the first time. Our siblings are our friends and the ones that will be around (God-willing) when our parents have gone, and here we were, watching this little girl we have loved so much for the past 3 years meet her very own sibling, who we will love equally as much, for the very first time. Wow.
Maura first seeing her parents/meeting Bobby for the first time


Waiting (and being silly) in the Waiting Room




Saying hello to Bobby in the Nursery
or "Baby Bobby's room"





Bobby is brought to Erin's room





(She was such a good girl all day!)






Just like the many girls before him, our first boy is beautiful!





Being held by his Great Grandmother

I know people have babies everyday. They all get swaddled in the same striped blankets, and they all wear the same little pink and blue hats. But, when the baby in that blanket and hat is your family - someone you have waited for and loved for 9 months already - it's really just so much MORE WONDERFUL!

Welcome to the world, Bobby. We love you!

1 comment:

Michelle B said...

no surprise here but this post made me cry. great pics.. when I have my baby, will you come take pics for me?